Add support for scaping an iPod for music and playlists?

nielsblack

Add support for scaping an iPod for music and playlists?

Post by nielsblack »

My wife has all of her music in carefully curated playlists on iTunes on her laptop. Most of the time she wants to ask Alexa to play a playlist, its because she isn't at her laptop, and its powered off or asleep, so installing MyMedia on it doesn't make sense.

So I created a low-power, always on raspberry pi server that would host MyMedia. The problem is how to keep it synced with her iTunes and able to play her playlists?

My thought was to take her old iPod and plug it into the pi. She can easily unplug it, sync it with her iTunes, and then plug it back in. Unfortuatly, while MyMedia can see the music on the iPod, I can't seem to get it to import the playlists (The music is stored in /iPod_Control/Music, and the iTunesDB in iPod_Control/iTunes)

Do you think there would be any chance this could work, or is that library database proprietary?

Thanks!
bizmodeller

Re: Add support for scaping an iPod for music and playlists?

Post by bizmodeller »

Could you zip up the contents of iPod_Control/iTunes and email them to us if they aren't too big and we'll take a look. Suspect these are proprietary and therefore not something we would want to reverse engineer, but if it's a standard eg mysql then we could probably extract this and would be an awesome new feature.