Which versions of iTunes are compatible with iHomeServer?

bizmodeller

Re: Which versions of iTunes are compatible with iHomeServer

Post by bizmodeller »

Thanks Jeff,

Good to know if anyone else is seeing this or other issues with iTunes 12 - FYI we can't reproduce this one yet......
rknox

iTunes 12.0.1.26 Update Problem

Post by rknox »

I was trying to update iTunes to 12.0.1.26 on my whs v1 system. iTunes installer detects unsupported system for AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi and quits. When I tried iTunesHelper, either method, I get an error:

CScript Error: Can't find script engine "JScript" for script: C:\Documents ... \tmp56.tmp.js.
C:\Documents ... \AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi Patched Response - NO_RESPONSE

Thanks,
Ralph
rknox

Post by rknox »

Anyone?
I was trying to update iTunes to 12.0.1.26 on my whs v1 system. iTunes installer detects unsupported system for AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi and quits. When I tried iTunesHelper, either method, I get an error:

CScript Error: Can't find script engine "JScript" for script: C:\Documents ... \tmp56.tmp.js.
C:\Documents ... \AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi Patched Response - NO_RESPONSE

Thanks,
Ralph
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

For others reading this thread, the error Ralph has raised is with the WHS iTunes Helper util which helps install iTunes onto WHS v1 (overcoming the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi issue).

This has been tested with iTunes 12, however, Ralph - the issue you are getting looks more like a system config error because our WHS iTunes Helper util can't run JavaScript on your system.

Please have a look at the following article on how to resolve it. We've had a user in the past with a similar issue and he resolved it following the Windows XP version of the instructions on his WHS v1 box:

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/2 ... files.html

Let me know if this works.
rknox

Post by rknox »

Ralph - the issue you are getting looks more like a system config error because our WHS iTunes Helper util can't run JavaScript on your system.

Please have a look at the following article on how to resolve it. We've had a user in the past with a similar issue and he resolved it following the Windows XP version of the instructions on his WHS v1 box:

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/2 ... files.html

Let me know if this works.
Thanks. That worked perfectly. Version 12 installed.

Ralph
elbartino

Post by elbartino »

I've not upgraded to the latest iTunes on my server running iHomeserver, but I've noticed on my mac Home Sharing doesn't seem to be present have have read it looks like something Apple have done because of the new apple music service. Is that going to affect iHome server future versions?
elbartino

Post by elbartino »

Any one????
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

The issue is actually iOS 8.4 rather than iTunes itself - essentially the new Apple Music app that replaces the previous Music app doesn't support Home Sharing at this moment in time. Looks like they rushed it out without the feature. iHomeServer uses iTunes Home Sharing under the covers so will be affected for iOS 8.4 clients

We understand from Apple that Home Sharing will return in iOS 9 due (theoretically) this autumn, so this should only be a temporary thing.

See here - http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/07/ed ... for-ios-9/
jchargu3

Post by jchargu3 »

Hi everyone. Long time user, first time poster.... Figured I would give my findings on 12.2.2.25 64-Bit for Older Graphics Cards (the current release for the older cards issue)

Due to a failed raid OS array, I decided to load my media server fresh and install Windows 10 Pro (upgrading from Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center Add-in)

Prior to having to rebuild I was running 8.1 pro with IHS 3.1.76.0.I had also upgraded to one of the 12.X releases. Required the installation of a 64-bit for older graphics cards release. (Unfortunately I didn't write the version number down and have lost that installation file). But everything was still working fine. I had the new iTunes + Apple music and IHS working with my appletv/network without issues.

Here are my findings since installing with 12.2.2.25/Windows 10
On my server, Windows 10 Pro and IHS 3.1.76.0 seem to get along fine from what I've seen so far, unless you add a PIN password, then it has problems with Authentication. (I'm sticking to my long passwords as I feel they are much more secure than 4 digits.). 12.2.2.25 (64-Bit for older graphics cards) also works. IHS sees it, IHS can import into the library, but that seems to be where the positives end.

IHS will see it (12.2.2.25), IHS will add/index movies from my D:\MOVIES watched folder, and SOME shorter movies were playable with AppleTV3 and iTunes in interactive mode (I was very surprised to see this!). However, when you click on iTunes View tab in IHS you can't manage or view the library at all. When I logged in via the web access (localhost:42050) the landing page would state something along the lines of "Waiting for itunes to start, check status tab" instead of showing your normal library view. Status tab shows iTunes was started and running. There were no errors in the logs. I found this strange since I could play some files on the ATV3.

So it seems 12.2.2.25 does "function", but is limited to what you can do with it. I'm trying to find install files for 12.2.1.16 as I think that may be the version I had prior to losing the drive. I can only seem to find 12.2.1.7 though and that doesn't have the apple music release in it. If I can find the 12.2.1.16 file somewhere, I'll report back with my findings.

PC Stats:
i7-4770k
MSI Z87 MPower Max Motherboard
16gb Kingston HyperX Beast Ram
GTX 760 2gb Graphics Card
8TB Storage Array
2x256 SSD OS Array
jchargu3

Post by jchargu3 »

It took a LOT of digging but I was able to find a legitimate 12.2.1.16 (64-Bit for Older Graphics Cards) Installer, apple has hidden it completely. Here is what I've tested. I hope this helps.

Windows 10 Pro (with standard alphanumeric password, no pin)
IHS 3.1.76.0
iTunes 12.2.2.25 (64-Bit for Older Graphics Cards) (includes apple music)
LIMITED functionality. Will import files from watch folder to library (434 movies). Can not manage library via IHS's "iTunes View" tab. Longer/larger mp4's wouldn't play via Apple TV3 (2+ hour and 8+gb in size) However small movies/files were fine. Could play all files via iTunes interactive mode.

DID NOT TEST 12.2.2.25 WITH PIN as I was aware it wasn't going to function properly.

IHS 3.1.76.0
iTunes 12.2.1.16 (64-Bit for Older Graphics Cards) (includes apple music)
All functions worked correctly (to my finding)

Windows 10 Pro (with 4 digit pin password)
IHS 3.1.76.0
iTunes 12.2.1.16 (64-Bit for Older Graphics Cards) (includes apple music)
IHS works, but it will not authenticate to start as a service. You can get it to run in app mode just fine.

IHS 3.1.76.0
iTunes 12.2.1.7 (64-Bit for Older Graphics Cards) (prior to apple music)

Windows 10 Pro (with 4 digit pin password)
IHS 3.1.76.0
IHS works, but it will not authenticate to start as a service. You can get it to run in app mode as mentioned above but it's not as fun!

Windows 8 Pro with Media Center Add-In
IHS 3.1.76.0
iTunes 12.2.2.25 (64-Bit for Older Graphics Cards) (includes apple music)
LIMITED functionality. Will import files from watch folder to library (434 movies). Can not manage library via IHS's "iTunes View" tab. Longer/larger mp4's wouldn't play via Apple TV3 (2+ hour and 8+gb in size) However small movies/files were fine. Could play all files via iTunes interactive mode, oddly enough.

IHS 3.1.76.0
iTunes 12.2.1.16 (64-Bit for Older Graphics Cards) (WITH apple music)

IHS 3.1.76.0

Beer time. :D