iHome Server Console not seeing remote iHomeServer

mag09

iHome Server Console not seeing remote iHomeServer

Post by mag09 »

Hello, I have installed iHome Server v 3.0 on top of a WHS 2011. The ihomeserver is working fine and I can access it from any computer on my house using remote desktop or also htpp://myserver/:42050. I have enabled the remote console management feature and also disabled the firewall on the client machine where I have installed the remote console for ihomeserver.
However, I cant see the ihome server at all on the "server explorer" of the client machine running the remote console.

This is what I receive : The ihome srerver Management console cannot communicate with the iHomeServer Service.

I have tried again, reboot both machines and the problem remains the same.
Any ideas?
many thanks
mag09
bizmodeller

Re: iHome Server Console not seeing remote iHomeServer

Post by bizmodeller »

We use Bonjour to publish the iHomeserver service around your network. This means that your client and server must be on the same subnet and broadcast traffic must be supported.

It could be a firewall issue on the WHS box, so you may consider temporarily disabling the firewall here too to see if it resolves the issue. If so, please let us know, as the necessarily rules should be created on installation.

If all else fails, you can connect to the server and skip discovery. To do this, on your WHS box, go into iHomeServer Settings / Network tab and change the 'Allow remote connections from iHomeServer clients' to be a known (free) static TCP port.

Then on your client machine, you can connect to the server by running

iHomeServerConsole.exe /server=host:port (where host:port is the IP address and static TCP port you assigned above)

from the c:\program files\iHomeServer folder
mag09

Re: iHome Server Console not seeing remote iHomeServer

Post by mag09 »

thanks a lot the solution worked fine.
many thanks!
mag09