Install does not detect ITunes

Post Reply
iana
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Install does not detect ITunes

Post by iana »

I'm a long time user of iHomeserver on WHS, but the time has come to move on and I've adopted a QNAP NAS server. Impressed. But I still want to use iHomeserver.

So, I've created a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit virtual machine on the QNAP box, and have installed iTunes (12.3.1.23 64-bit). That seems fine (except there's no audio card, like on my WHS)

I'm now trying to install iHomeServer.Pro.v3.1.84.0.64-bit.msi.

That seems to go fine up to the point where it asks whether I want to run as a service or desktop application. Choosing option 1 (windows service), then get a panel asking me to complete 3 pre-req steps: the first is to install iTunes. er....?

I know that I'm pushing the boundaries of what is supported here, but anyone got any idea what might be wrong/missing.

Thanks

Ian
bizmodeller
Posts: 443
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: Install does not detect ITunes

Post by bizmodeller »

We do occasionally have users reporting this issue. The issue is that the iTunes installation may not have completed correctly (even if it says it has!) and hasn't registered its COM libraries correctly.

I'd suggest initially uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes and then trying to complete the installation (you don't need to uninstall/reinstall iHomeServer when you do this),

thanks
iana
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Re: Install does not detect ITunes

Post by iana »

Thanks. Wanted to cancel the post but couldn't see it until you had approved it.

I realised that I had completely misunderstood the message about the 3 pre-req steps :roll: (although, in my defence, I still think it could have been taken as I did).

Where I thought that it was telling me to install ITunes as the first step, I realised that it was in fact saying that, of the 3 pre-reqs, the first (install iTunes) was already completed and I just needed to do the other 2: install Quicktime and iHomeserver. Even that was not strictly correct because (I would say) iHomeserver was installed, but not configured.

Anyhow, up and running happily now, including installing the console on a separate (real) machine.
Post Reply