Remote Control of Volume, Skip Song, Etc

soundog

Remote Control of Volume, Skip Song, Etc

Post by soundog »

I am a new user trying the demo. I'm streaming my iTunes library from an old iMac (El Capitan) to a new Echo 4. Everything is working nicely! Normally when using the Alexa app and streaming Amazon Music on my iPhone, I am able to select "Play" in the Alexa menu to see the current album playing with album art, adjust its volume, and skip a track or song when needed. When playing my local library through My Media, however, I get none of these features. I can't control anything via the phone. Maybe I just haven't dug deep enough?

Is there anything I can do to control the volume and skip tracks from my phone now? How about from a Mac? Any way to do it?

Thanks for a very useful application!

----
updated nov 23 (based on learning a bit more)

There seems to be no awareness of what is playing on Alexa's end. If I ask Alexa "what's playing" from My Media, she doesn't have a clue. Can't artist and song info be provided to Alexa from My Media so she knows what is playing?

Adjusting volume and skipping tracks using Alexa voice commands works fine when streaming My Media. I suppose what I am really wanting/missing would be for My Media to send info on the track list (or at least currently playing track), artist name, (album art would great) so it would appear on the Alexa iPhone app. I usually use that app to see what is playing, skip tracks, adjust volume, etc. When streaming My Media, none of that info is available.

Secondly When using my Macbook running the My Media browser, I can use What's Playing" to see the track list and cover art. But there is no way to control the tracks or volume from the browser. Again, it would be wonderful to be able to select songs from the browser and send it to Alexa. So the My Media browser would be the Alexa controller. Any way to facilitate that communication?