Is there anyone left here ?

antho895

Is there anyone left here ?

Post by antho895 »

Hello,

I see many posts in 2021 but not many responses...

I am worried because I paid the money for this product and I would like to have the answers to the few questions I have ...
crackerjack2446

Re: Is there anyone left here ?

Post by crackerjack2446 »

I've also noticed not many responses
Jaffo

Post by Jaffo »

I think the author of this great program is a twelve year old sat in there bedroom writing code but with very little social skills when it comes to answering questions :lol:
Squabsy

Post by Squabsy »

Yes the lack of responses and slowness of releases / new features is inclining me to not renew and start looking elsewhere , although there are not many alternatives that are as straightforward in approach
kangocartman

Post by kangocartman »

Whilst I agree that there isn't a great deal of responses from the devs on here, for the meagre sum of $5 I'm happy to use this.
Plex is another good alternative that's free.
I use both.
YMMV
Squabsy

Post by Squabsy »

It's not the £5 thats the problem ...thats an absolute bargain. But the lack of development means features you'd hope to see that would make it work better for what I'd like to do means your constantly waiting ...checking this forum...etc etc
msosk2

Post by msosk2 »

why not make this open source and let volunteers contribute to development?
Jaffab

Post by Jaffab »

So - is this a DEAD product?
I find the small bugs very annoying (audio books not always saving last chapter played) - its impossible to tell if the developer(s) has abandoned the project or not.
I would rather pay more money for a better solution than pay for a dead buggy product.
The signs are not good - no updates for months, web site still showing (c) 2020, no posting from them, etc. they are active on twitter, but nothing about releases or developments, etc

Anybody have any ideas whats going on?

Thinking of trying out plex as an alternative.
kangocartman

Post by kangocartman »

I would advise trying to contact the dev directly, I have done that in the past and had success.
Plex Is a great additional source I have it working well.
My only gripe with plex is that its resource hungry running in the background, but I also use it as a local media player with my Shield TV and Android box.
I don't use audiobooks, but can see the benefit with more support.
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Thanks for asking this question. I was about to go all in but a look at this post has stopped me from purchasing. I will keep searching for alternatives.
Hiroari_Till_When

Post by Hiroari_Till_When »

Well, I've already bought My Media, it's great, but still needs some polishing... Is it possible to mod it, like with PC games?
Jaffo

Post by Jaffo »

Aidan wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:21 pm
Thanks for asking this question. I was about to go all in but a look at this post has stopped me from purchasing. I will keep searching for alternatives.
Good luck with an alternative, maybe if you find something you could come back and let us know.

Personally even though this software has its problem I don't think you are going to find anything any better. Especially for £5 a year!

Maybe the author would have an incentive to spend more of there time on this project if they had more subscribers.
richaardvark

Post by richaardvark »

The author was originally helpful - he even let me be a part of a beta multi-room music beta test version like two years ago and it worked well! But then it stopped working and he wouldn't return my emails :(

There is a similar Alexa Skill/app called Our Jukebox that basically does a lot of what My Media for Alexa does, except it's open-source and free. It's not quite as fancy/there's no web portal or GUI. It's a simple console-based web server. But it works fine. The only thing I cannot stand... when music/audio is finished playing, it has this horribly annoying audio message... "The selected music has ended. Please ask Our Jukebox to play something else..." which doesn't seem to be able to be turned off. I keep meaning to email the developer of Our Jukebox to tell them how annoying this audio message is. iTunes/Spotify would never audibly tell you your music has finished, lol...

http://ourjukebox.io/
kangocartman

Post by kangocartman »

I have just renewed my subscription and overall I'm still happy.

Maybe as Jaffo says..
"Maybe the author would have an incentive to spend more of there time on this project if they had more subscribers"

My only gripe is although this is a small amount of money the price increase equates to over 10% with little to no input/development.

Again a minor gripe, but I thought it worth mentioning.
Kc
Jaffo

Post by Jaffo »

I obviously wasn't paying attention because I re-subscribed back in January and you are right the price has increased. First year £4.00 all in. This year £5.40 inc. VAT.
But I still consider this to be better value than paying this just are one months Amazon Music.
Powel

Post by Powel »

kangocartman wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:48 pm
Whilst I agree that there isn't a great deal of responses from the devs on here, for the meagre sum of $5 I'm happy to use this.
Plex is another good alternative that's free.
I use both.
YMMV
Fyi: A new version of Plex for Alexa was released in May and it works well using little resources.
MyMedia and Plex are a good combo to cover everything.
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

We are still here; we are still developing My Media, however, we set this forum up with a community driven support model in mind. However, I acknowledge, we do not contribute in here anyway as much as we should and for that I apologise.

If you have technical issues, please reach our to our support email address (support @ mymediaalexa.com) which we actively monitor and respond to.

And we'll promise to contribute more to the forums in the future.

BTW the price increase in January was due to Brexit - due to the crazy changes in tax/vat implications it brought on we had to move payment processing to a third party which increased our transaction costs.