Having trouble with Sonos compatibility

hux2000

Having trouble with Sonos compatibility

Post by hux2000 »

I'm using the 7 day trial of My Media for Alexa right now and I'm trying to use it to play my local iTunes library with voice commands. If I can get this to work, I'll definitely be a long term customer. But thus far I'm failing! :'(

I have a Sonos One and a Beam, which are set up for Alexa voice activation. I can ask it to play from various music services and it works fine.

I've installed MMfA on my Mac mini running macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave). I can connect to the MMfA server on port 52051 and I've successfully configured the 'Watch Folders' and 'iTunes Music' sections, so it can definitely see my library. I'm testing by saying, "Alexa, play [song] in living room", where [song] is something in my local library that definitely doesn't exist on any streaming music service. However, no dice.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? An extra step I'm missing, maybe? Or am I misunderstanding what MMfA is capable of doing?
hux2000

Re: Having trouble with Sonos compatibility

Post by hux2000 »

Well, my trial is over and the lack of any replies for over a week suggests that even if what I want to do is possible, I don't think I'd want to risk doing it anyway, since support would likely be non-existent if something went wrong.

Guess you just don't want customers. :shrug:
sammyk

Re: Having trouble with Sonos compatibility

Post by sammyk »

Maybe it's because your questions have been answered in the FAQ section?

Please note that the Sonos One does not currently support all the Alexa APIs required to run My Media for Alexa. As soon as Sonos improves support for the Audio Player API within the One then we will endeavour to ensure My Media for Alexa supports it.

My Media for Alexa lets you ask Alexa devices, such as Amazon Echo and the Amazon Dot, to play music from your existing home media library. After installing our app on your computer, My Media will index your media and let Alexa respond to commands such as

"Alexa, ask My Media to play music by Ed Sheeran"

You need to say "Ask My Media" and you don't tell it where to play, you just ask the device you want it to play on.