I can't find my existing mapped drives within My Media for Alexa on Windows

admin
Site Admin

I can't find my existing mapped drives within My Media for Alexa on Windows

Post by admin »

My Media runs as a background Windows Service on WIndows devices. This is so that it automatically starts up in the background when you turn your computer on and so you don't have to explicitly open up the My Media app every time you want to stream your favourite track.

Windows Services do _not_ run in the same context as your desktop. Mapped drives, eg a z: pointing at your NAS, are specific to your logged on desktop user session. Therefore, when My Media runs as the background service, it doesn't have access to your mapped drives that you created as your normal user id on your desktop.

This is easily fixed by going to My Media settings, and clicking 'Mapped Drives' and clicking 'Add'.

Then re-enter your mapped drive letter, path and credentials. These will then be stored (encrypted) by My Media and it will recreate that drive reference so that you can now index your media.

If your iTunes library links to media on a remote share, it's particularly important to ensure that you use the same drive letter when you map your drives within My Media as you do when you use your desktop. Otherwise, your iTunes library will be referencing media on a drive letter that it can't see.
TonyBecker

Re: I can't find my existing mapped drives within My Media for Alexa on Windows

Post by TonyBecker »

I've followed these instructions carefully, but when I get to the 'Mapped Drives' page, and click on the 'Add Network Drive' button, my existing mapped drive 'A:' is not listed there in the 'Local Drive' dropdown list. It only allowed unused drive letters. Is there a fix for this?
Last edited by TonyBecker on Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bizmodeller

Re: I can't find my existing mapped drives within My Media for Alexa on Windows

Post by bizmodeller »

This is a bug which we have now fixed and will be available in the next release. We only show drive letters from D: through to Z: when trying to map a new network path.

This shouldn't impact most users as you can choose any drive letter, however, it can make mapping iTunes library paths seamlessly so it needs fixing