When I request music via My Media, i am told "Your My Media Server is not connected"

bizmodeller

When I request music via My Media, i am told "Your My Media Server is not connected"

Post by bizmodeller »

My Media for Alexa runs as a server program on your computer - be that a Windows, Mac, Linux or Raspberry pi machine. The server program is responsible for searching your media collection and streaming the music to your Alexa device.

We sometimes receive emails from users who intermittedly get the error "Your My Media server is not connected" when they ask Alexa to play some of your local music.

This is frequently because the computer running My Media has either:

1. Gone to sleep
2. Hibernated
3. Been powered off

In any of these cases, Alexa won't be able to connect to your server and will yield this message. To resolve this, start or wake your computer, wait a few minutes for My Media to reconnect to the Internet and then try your query again.

If you are still having issues, then try to open the My Media Web Console by using the link in the Start menu (on Windows) or the Launchpad (Mac). If it doesn't open, then it looks like the My Media background service/daemon isn't running (although it should run all the time).

On Windows, you can restart it by going to Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services and find the 'My Media for Alexa' service; right click and choose 'Start'.

On Mac, open a terminal and then type the following:

Code: Select all

sudo /bin/launchctl stop "com.bizmodeller.mymedia"
sudo /bin/launchctl start "com.bizmodeller.mymedia"
If you still have issues, then please raise a support ticket and send us your logs so we can review.

One other thing to note - if you have installed My Media on multiple servers, then listen carefully to the message that Alexa announced - she will tell you which server she is trying to connect to. If this isn't the server you are expecting (eg an old server that isn't switched on) then use the command "Alexa, ask My Media to switch servers" to select an active server. Alternatively use the 'Servers' tab in the My Media web console to select the active server.
jz1276

Re: When I request music via My Media, i am told "Your My Media Server is not connected"

Post by jz1276 »

I've been having the same issue for almost a week now, and I'm a new subscriber. I posted a thread last night asking help to resolve this issue but it still hasn't been accepted. I just did what Biz suggested going into services and manually starting and now it works again. I wonder what would've caused it to stop to begin with.
bizmodeller

Re: When I request music via My Media, i am told "Your My Media Server is not connected"

Post by bizmodeller »

I just did what Biz suggested going into services and manually starting and now it works again. I wonder what would've caused it to stop to begin with.
Use the Download Logs button on the My Media support tab to download a set of logs and then please email them to our support email address.

We are getting occasional reports from users that My Media isn't starting up automatically on boot. Does this correlate with what you are seeing?
Chris

Post by Chris »

bizmodeller wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:00 pm
We sometimes receive emails from users who intermittedly get the error "Your My Media server is not connected" when they ask Alexa to play some of your local music.

This is frequently because the computer running My Media has either:

1. Gone to sleep
2. Hibernated
3. Been powered off
Interesting thread, as I do get that error message. On Windows 10 Pro, how do you stop all 3 points above from happening anyway please?