Multiple Echo devices with separate audio streams?

mweaver

Multiple Echo devices with separate audio streams?

Post by mweaver »

I have seen the FAQ about multi-room audio (same audio stream shared by multiple devices), and I understand that is an outstanding feature request waiting on Amazon.

My question is about having multiple Echo devices each playing their own songs (or audio books) at the same time (i.e. a separate audio stream for each device). For example, suppose you have three Echo devices, each one in a different room. The devices are all connected to the same Amazon account. Can device #1 be listening to a song in one room while device #2 is listening to a different song in a different room? Or can only one device listen at a time?

What about audio books? Could two devices be listening to audio books simultaneously, each with their own separate audio feed (e.g. one device is on chapter 1 of the book and the other device is on chapter 3 of the same book)?
bizmodeller

Re: Multiple Echo devices with separate audio streams?

Post by bizmodeller »

Hi

Absolutely yes, you can stream a different source / track / album to different devices simultaneously for the same account no problems.

Re audio books, yes in theory however later versions of my media save a bookmark of where you got to. This bookmark would be available across all your accounts devices rather than per device.

Thanks
mweaver

Post by mweaver »

Thanks for your reply.

If I were to setup a different Amazon account for each device and use Family Share in My Media, would each account have its own bookmark for the audio book?

Can a single account have different bookmarks for different audio books? For example, if I listen to Book A and get to chapter 5 and then the next day I listen to Book B and get to chapter 3, then come back to continue on Book A?
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

If I were to setup a different Amazon account for each device and use Family Share in My Media, would each account have its own bookmark for the audio book?
Currently, they would share the bookmark - we may make an option to keep them separate in the future, however, this is quite an edge case for us at the moment.
Can a single account have different bookmarks for different audio books? For example, if I listen to Book A and get to chapter 5 and then the next day I listen to Book B and get to chapter 3, then come back to continue on Book A?
Yes absolutely - this should already work fine now
mweaver

Post by mweaver »

If I were to make multiple copies of the audio book itself, would the application consider them different books and create a separate bookmark for each book (so each device could have its own book mark)?

For example, suppose the audio book is called "Book A". Suppose I create multiple copies like this:

\Device 1
..\Device 1 - Book A
....\Book A - Chapter 1.mp3
....\Book A - Chapter 2.mp3

\Device 2
..\Device 2 - Book A
....\Book A - Chapter 1.mp3
....\Book A - Chapter 2.mp3

Would My Media Server consider those two different books and create two different bookmarks?

Does it differentiate books solely on the folder name? Or do I also need to modify the "Title" property of the individual MP3 files within the folder?
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

Sorry for the delay. It differentiates it based on the album name tag within the audiobook. So you would need to copy the audio book and ensure it's album title was unique.

We're still thinking how we can resolve your specific issue and have a bookmark per device without making it too confusing for users who would want their bookmarks to follow them around their devices.