Local Music, MyMedia, Alexa & Sonos

waterboy54

Local Music, MyMedia, Alexa & Sonos

Post by waterboy54 »

Hi
I've seen a couple of references on the web to instances where people have managed to play their local music collection to their Sonos speakers using Alexa voice control & via the MyMediaForAlexa skill.
After some effort, I've manged to get MyMedia to play my local music collection using Alexa voice control - but only to the speaker on an Amazon Dot.
No matter what I try (and re-try!!), I can't seem to get the music to output to my Sonos speakers.
Has anybody managed to get this to work?
If so, could you please share your experience and knowledge
Thanks for listening
bizmodeller

Re: Local Music, MyMedia, Alexa & Sonos

Post by bizmodeller »

We (My Media) haven't had success with this. We have occasionally seen people report it working occasionally, however, my suspicion is that they may also have Amazon Music and that the request to Alexa went directly to Amazon Music and completely bypassed My Media (i.e. the intent wasn't processed correctly.)

We are still waiting for Amazon to support multi-room / speaker groups for third party skills. You can add your support to our feature request here:

https://alexa.uservoice.com/forums/9068 ... api-stream

The above said, there is reasonably good support for Sonos devices now directly if those devices, like the Sonos One have integrated Alexa. But that's a different question I think to what you are asking.