First song of Album playing in infinite loop. (When loop mode is off).

scifisi

First song of Album playing in infinite loop. (When loop mode is off).

Post by scifisi »

The Problem:
*UPDATE* SONOS software update destroys playing of an Album using MyMedia. Sonos will not let you roll-back to a working version of the software.

If I say "Alexa play album Blade Runner" It just plays the first track and keeps looping it indefinitely.
If I go to Now Playing, I can see all the tracks listed with the little right pointing arrow next to track 1. This never moves and the track keeps looping.
Very odd and it only started happening a couple of days ago.

What I've tried:
1. "Alexa, ask My Media to turn loop mode off" the reply is "My Media has set loop mode off" - but this doesn't change anything.
2. I've checked that the files are physically all there and that they play correctly through other media players like the Sonos app - which they do.
3. Rebooting my server - doesn't help.
4. I looked through 'Messages' to see if anything stood out, but the logs look ok.
5. Gone to Settings > Clear My Media Database and then rescanned all the music - nope
6. Cleared the Database deleted the MyMediaForAlexa.log file and created a new Watch folder called test with just one Album - same problem
7. I have uploaded a compressed version of the newly created log file here https://www.dropbox.com/s/499ym5cvvf4xv ... a.rar?dl=0
8. Uninstalled MyMedia 1.3.97.0, downloaded version 1.3.104.0 - Noticed my previous database was still there. Clearly uninstall does not erase database. Still the
problem persists which means it has to be an issue with a value stored in the database. If I could delete and then recreate it I'm sure that would fix he issue even
though it is a bit of a cludge... [although true, this is not the cause of the problem. It was a Sonos software update that is causing this problem]

Something a bit flaky is going on, does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks and keep up the great work. My Media is awesome :D
Last edited by scifisi on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 am, edited 9 times in total.
Alex

Re: First song of Album playing in infinite loop. (When loop mode is off).

Post by Alex »

So loop mode is really off?
What do you see at the playlist window ("Now Playing")? Are there all tracks listed?
scifisi

Post by scifisi »

Thanks for the reply Alex. Have updated my initial post in an effort to clarify the problem and have included a link to a dropbox copy of the log files. Hope that makes it a little easier to diagnose the problem. Is there some mechanical way to turn loop mode off other than the verbal command? Some tick box I could be missing?
Alex

Post by Alex »

There is nothing like this.
Does the album really includes several files?
Do you see all the files on your playlist?
scifisi

Post by scifisi »

Hi Alex,

Yes, there are 17 files in the album and all of them show on the Now Playing playing page and try as I might it never moves to the second track or anything other than track 1.
I've tried this with multiple albums and same thing. This is a bug that stays in the database as uninstalling / upgrading still does not fix.

I can "ask my media to play track [name]" and this works fine, but if I ask it to play an album its just track 1.

I could open a port on my router and publish mymedia for testing purposes if that helps...
scifisi

Post by scifisi »

Finally! That took some time. The Fault lies with the latest Sonos Software Update. The culprit is Version 9.2 Build 46357250.

If I ask my Amazon Echo Dot directly (so none of my Sonos equipment can hear) The albums play just fine. This is NOT the fault of, or any responsibility of My Media. The trouble I have now is that Sonos say they won't let me roll back to an earlier version of the software when things worked, and so now I have to spend Saturday evening in doing a whole load of diagnostics for them! Not what I had planned. Goodness knows what they've done to their software but it's certainly managed to cock up commands to My Media. I don't know the problems they're having with the Alexa API but I wish Amazon would Open Source and save us all a load of grief.

Alex, thank you so much for your time! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

**UPDATE** 28/10/2018

Have just spent over half an hour on the phone to Sonos, they have admitted there is a software problem that they believe is to do with the Sonos skill on the Alexa app and that there is a communication issue between one and there other. There is nothing an end user can do to solve this problem other than wait for an update. They have said they will be in touch with me via email but the solution may take over a week. Will report back when this issue is fixed

**UPDATE** 20/12/2018

Well SONOS released another software update a few weeks ago (Version 9.3 Build 47259120) and although they are fully aware of this problem they still have done nothing to fix it. I have called them again and filled out an online form in order to try to escalate this problem but so far still nothing. It's a shame, I used to like using MyMedia with Sonos.

**UPDATE** 01/02/2019

Sonos have now released their third software update and after having spent another half hour on the phone with them and asking why the functionality with MyMedia still hasn't been fixed their reply is "MyMedia is not officially supported, we do not have any intention of fixing this feature"

I cannot begin to tell you how much I now hate, loathe and despise Sonos for their cuntiness. I won't bother reporting back again as it looks as though we are now done.