Alexa reported an error streaming the track. MEDIA_ERROR_UNKNOWN. If this happens on every track, please...

Joerg

Alexa reported an error streaming the track. MEDIA_ERROR_UNKNOWN. If this happens on every track, please...

Post by Joerg »

I did not manage to play a single file with my Echo Dot via My Media. I always get:
[...]Alexa reported an error streaming the track. [...] MEDIA_ERROR_UNKNOWN. [...] If this happens on every track, please check your computer firewall settings [...]

I installed the 7 days trial today on my Synology NAS using Docker today.
My NAS is located internally at 192.168.178.23.
Preparations:
- In advance, I created a new share on the NAS named \MyMedia. My MP3 files are located on the NAS at \Musik. I checked the access rights for these shares. I assume that READ rights are sufficient for my Musik folder.
- I went to port forwarding config in my router and opened 52050-52051 for my NAS (192.168.178.23).

When going through the My Media setup in Docker:
- container port 52050 had been mapped to local port 32769.
- container port port 52051 had been mapped to local port 32768.
- \medialibrary had been mapped to \Musik with only READ rights.
- \datadir had been mapped to \MyMedia with READ/WRITE rights.

Question here: Do I need to open 52050-52051 TCP IPv4 on my router and forward them to 52050-52051 to my NAS (192.168.178.23) or do I need to use these local ports 32768-32769? Sorry, this is confusing for me! Please advise me here!

Setup went well and I launched the container using the docker GUI on my Synology NAS.
I then went to: http://192.168.178.23:32768 and could see the web dashboard of My Media (nice!).
Since I setup the network folders already when configuring the docker image on my Synology NAS, everything was already properly configured in the dashboard. I only had to provide my Amazon credentials and that's it. Easy!
It immediately started scanning \medialibrary and found my 22.000 songs, 1.800 albums and 3.030 artists. Great! I waited to let it finish the indexing.

Meanwhile, I installed the Alexa skill. In the Web dashboard I can now find my Amazon Echo device under Alexa devices. So far so good!

In the Amazon Alexa app under skills I then realized that the German version of the My Media skill uses (somewhat ugly) German commands like "Alexa öffne meine Medien" or "Alexa frage Meine Medien nach klassischer Musik". I thought, ok, let's give it a try!
Unfortunately, it does not work at all! It understands my command "Alexa öffne meine Medien" and the Echo dot tells me that it opens my media library for playback but it remains silent.
I the went into the Web Dashboard and could see orange warning windows telling me that a device tried to play an MP3 but it couldn't be played.
I went on my NAS into \MyMedia and found a log file called MyMediaForAlexa.log. Within that log file I can find the above mentioned error message for all songs I am trying to play:
[...]Alexa reported an error streaming the track. [...] MEDIA_ERROR_UNKNOWN. [...] If this happens on every track, please check your computer firewall settings [...]

Help!
bizmodeller

Re: Alexa reported an error streaming the track. MEDIA_ERROR_UNKNOWN. If this happens on every track, please...

Post by bizmodeller »

Sorry for the delay - if your trial has expired please email us and we'll extend it to help you get this working.

It sounds like you are almost there. There is definitely one and probably two issues and this is specific to you running My Media within a Docker container.

Firstly - recommend having a read of this page on our main website: https://www.mymediaalexa.com/home/docker

The key points are that My Media has to advertise out to Alexa it's own IP and TCP port. When it's running within a Docker container, there is no easy way for it to know the real IP and TCP port. Sure, it knows it's container IP and it's container port, but depending on the network set up this can be either a different IP (if you are using NAT based container networking) or a different port (if you are using port translation to expose the container).

Checking the IP is easy - go back into the My Media web console / Settings tab and look for the "Listening IP Address" field - does this match your NAS's IP, i.e. 192.168.178.23? If so, then great. If not, then you are using NAT for your Docker set up and you'll need to manually set this IP address within My Media settings to 192.168.178.23 so that My Media can advertise this address out to your Alexa device.

The port is harder; at the moment, My Media must listen on TCP/52050 for media streaming requests. From your explanation below you have "container port 52050 had been mapped to local port 32769". This won't currently work. You need to tell Docker to map container port 52050 to local port 52050.

If you do this then it should work fine!
siric

Re: Alexa reported an error streaming the track. MEDIA_ERROR_UNKNOWN. If this happens on every track, please...

Post by siric »

Hello,

I am having this issue as well. I am running Windows 10 and have checked the firewall to ensure that the port is open and I forwarded the port on my ADSL router. If I run a port check online, I get confirmation that the port is open.

I have tried the Enable By Firewall/NAT as well as Enable via Push but neither work.

If I run the test - http://www.xxx.yyy.xxx:52050/test using my public IP, I get a connection test successful message.

Would appreciate your assistance.

Thanks
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

What type of device are you trying to stream from?