multiple genre tags

Happycamper

multiple genre tags

Post by Happycamper »

I'm still working on getting my elderly mother a better classical music experience.

If (like Squeezebox) you supported multiple tags in particularly the genre field - and maybe others too, that would be a handy workaround for the missing tags fields of "composer", "work" etc that I accept are a niche classical request.

I could them for example, populate the genre tag with something like:

opera ; [conductor name] ; [soloist name]

to allow her to ask for music of the "genre" [conductor name]. Multiple tags is handy for other music too. I have music that I tag as both "folk" and "folk-rock" for example. I like it that way!

multiple tags might allow me to add an abbreviated CD title too. Classical CDs often have very lengthy titles that probably are unreliable by voice command, and being able to add a second tag somewhere to just call it "Bob" or whatever we like might help.
iansb

Re: multiple genre tags

Post by iansb »

Although MyMedia seems to have been designed for the larger audience of popular music, there are workarounds for classical/baroque listeners. A simple solution to your problem might be to use the "add to playlist" feature which appears at the bottom of the track list when you select an album from the Album tab. For example, my collection of the 55 albums of Suzuki recording of the Bach church cantatas is simply named "Suzuki 1 Playlist" to "Suzuki 55 Playlist". The playlists thus generated survive a rescan from the "Watch Folders" tab, but not a "Clear All" from the "Settings" tab. You are quite right in saying that one cannot expect MyMedia to recognise titles in a foreign language.

If your albums include an .m3u file, then you could rename this to something simpler, achieving the same result.

I store the composer's name followed by the artist's name in the "ARTIST" metadata field, using metaflac from xiph.org.

Ian
beachatlast

Re: multiple genre tags

Post by beachatlast »

I am also in support of multiple Genre tags. Use case below.

Listen to muisc. Tag Genre with Campfire;Seventies One. Tag another song with Campfire;Country Old

Now without any synchronizing of or managing playlists... I have one field that I can use to bluetooth from phone to a speaker, or when at home, ask Alexa to play any Genre. Which jus simply carries over to any of my players as part of the mp3 file.

I tried running the script for mp3tag to export multiple genres to playlists. This would work; If you could schedule it to run in the background once a day or something. But I could not get that to work. Not sure if it's even possible.

I am in for $20 donation to bump the priority. Would solve many problems.

Now when I try to pay a genre, it only plays genre with only 1 entry. Which are very very few and useless. Let's face the matter that a song will belong to more than one genre so support should exist.