Family Sharing explained

bizmodeller

Family Sharing explained

Post by bizmodeller »

My Media has a feature called family sharing. This post explains what this is for and how to use it.

When you install the My Media server app, you need to link it to the same email address you used when you paired the skill within the Amazon Alexa app. This is great if all your Alexa devices are linked to the same Amazon account.

However, what if you are in a houeshold with several Alexa devices, all of which may be linked to different Amazon email addresses? What if you want all those devices to access the same My Media server instance?

This is where My Media family sharing comes in. This is where you can share your My Media server with other Amazon email addresses.

These are the steps:

1. Open the My Media web console by clicking the My Media for Alexa icon in Launchpad or the Start menu
2. Click the 'Sharing' tab on the left hand menu
3. Under 'Pending Sharing Invitations', click 'Add'.
4. The following dialog is displayed:

Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 08.07.30.png
Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 08.07.30.png (33.83 KiB) Viewed 12357 times
5. Enter the email address you want to share your music library with

Then ask the person who owns the other Alexa devices to do the following steps:

1. Find and enable the My Media skill within their account on the Alexa companion app (https://alexa.amazon.com)
2. Link that instance of the My Media skill with their own account
3. Say "Alexa, ask My Media to list invitations"

Alexa will then say they have an invitation from you and whether it should be accepted

4. Say "Yes"

The second Amazon account can now issue commands just like the main account.

Note - the family share users do NOT need to install the My Media server app.

By default, all the family shares will need to be on the same home network as the My Media server. If family members are outside your network, then you will need to enable My Media for remote access by following this How-To: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4117