Connecting to shared Library

THTHTH

Connecting to shared Library

Post by THTHTH »

Hi

I have ihomeserver running on HP mediasmart Windows Home Server v1.

I have an iPad gen 4 which has suddenly started being incredibly slow when I try to connect to the shared library. I mean it takes 2-4 minutes to connect.

I've just uninstalled v2 and updated to v3 of ihomeserver but the issue remains.

The HP home server has twonkymedia running on it and I wondered if this was conflicting somehow so I've turned off the music aspect of it and the problem remains.

I want Twonky to still operate so that i can stream movies etc to my xbox. It may be possible that ihomeserver can do this though??

Can you help?

Thanks
@Ed

Re: Connecting to shared Library

Post by @Ed »

Hello

First thing to do is to work out whether it's a network issue, an iTunes issue or an iHomeServer issue. iHomeServer shouldn't interfere with how Home Sharing works - it's still running iTunes under the covers so iTunes is providing the Home Sharing aspect, but anything's possible.

Would suggest you stop iTunes from running under iHomeServer control and then start iTunes manually on your WHS server (using the same account you used when you configured iHomeServer so that it opens the same library). Then repeat your tests and see if it's still slow to connect. If it is then it sounds like a network/iTunes issue so has anything changed in your network configuration?
The HP home server has twonkymedia running on it and I wondered if this was conflicting somehow so I've turned off the music aspect of it and the problem remains.
I doubt that twonky is conflicting as iTunes runs quite a different set of protocols
I want Twonky to still operate so that i can stream movies etc to my xbox. It may be possible that ihomeserver can do this though??
yup - iHomeServer v3 now has a DLNA server built in so can stream your movies, etc to Smart TVs, XBOX360, playstation 3, etc

let me know how you geton