iTunes installed but still getting red dot when installing

Glarus

iTunes installed but still getting red dot when installing

Post by Glarus »

Hi,

I have iTunes installed but for some reason the installation procedure doesn't recognize it and wants me to install it again.

I'm running windows 7 x64 and installing the 64bit version of iHomeServer.

Quicktime is also not installed but I will once iTunes is recognized.

Please help.

Thanks.

- Eric
bizmodeller

Re: iTunes installed but still getting red dot when installi

Post by bizmodeller »

We have seen this with a minority of users and so far it's been due to a problem to do with the iTunes installation. iTunes installs a COM API during installation and we check for the one of the registry keys associated with this install.

Initially, I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. Another thing to check is that you are using the 64-bit download of iTunes. If this doesn't resolve it, please let me know.
Glarus

Post by Glarus »

I'm trying the uninstall/re-install tonight after I try to repair the current installation.

Can you tell me what the .dll is that needs to be registered so I can try to register/reregister it myself? Also, could I just fudge the registry key that you look for? What and where is the key that is needed?

Thanks!
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

Sure, but don't recommend fudging it as it suggests the iTunes COM components aren't installed correctly (and there's a lot of underlying COM registry keys the iTunes COM libraries require).

We first search for the CLSID corresponding to the iTunes ProgID:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\iTunes.Application\CLSID
This should have a string value of {DC0C2640-1415-4644-875C-6F4D769839BA} and corresponds to the CLSID for the main iTunes COM component.

We then take the value of this key and check:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\[value_from_above]\LocalServer32
or, for 64-bit systems:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\[value_from_above]\LocalServer32
This should return the COM server for iTunes which on my 64-bit system is C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe

The registry entries are created by iTunes during a regular installation.
Glarus

Post by Glarus »

Ok, so I uninstalled and reinstalled and all the of they keys are now present (they weren't before). However, I still don't get a green circle for the iTunes installation.

CORRECTION
Just needed a reboot. Now the iTunes part is green, but after I installed Quicktime and rebooted it's still red :evil: I can't stand Apple.

So, what can I do to fix this now? Can you tell I really want to get your product to work?

Thanks.

- Eric
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

I feel your frustration - I can't help but think this is the iTunes install as the install checks we perform are pretty simple.

I've knocked up a quick diagnostic program that will spit out the values of each registry key we check and report the results. This may help see which bit of the chain isn't there. It's attached as a zip to this topic.

If you open a command prompt, run the test exe and then copy/paste the results back here then we can see what's up.
Attachments
CheckiTunesInstalled.zip
(2.69 KiB) Downloaded 624 times
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

Did you have any luck running the attached test program?