Bonjour Error Events in Windows Server 2012 R2

n0dyjeff

Bonjour Error Events in Windows Server 2012 R2

Post by n0dyjeff »

I have iHomeServer 3 and iTunes running successfully on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, but my Event Log is getting filled with error messages from the Bonjour service every 4 minutes. I know this isn't strictly an IHomeServer issue, but I suspect it has something to do with Bonjour being on a server, and the only reason it is is to support iTunes and iHomeServer. I've done a Google search but nothing helpful (to me) comes up - so I'm hoping you can.

So, every 4 minutes I get the following 4 errors from Bonjour in the Event log:

mDNSCoreReceiveResponse: Received from 192.168.1.100:5353 4 MERCURY.local. Addr 169.254.113.98

mDNSCoreReceiveResponse: Resetting to Probing: 4 MERCURY.local. Addr 192.168.1.100

mDNSCoreReceiveResponse: Received from 192.168.1.100:5353 4 MERCURY.local. Addr 169.254.113.98

mDNSCoreReceiveResponse: Resetting to Probing: 16 MERCURY.local. AAAA FE80:0000:0000:0000:B4F1:FFBC:E186:E29A

Note that the server's name is MERCURY.DAVIS.local. Any ideas what is going on here, and how I can keep my Event log from getting cluttered up with all these messages?

Thanks,
Jeff
n0dyjeff

Re: Bonjour Error Events in Windows Server 2012 R2

Post by n0dyjeff »

Posting an update for those who may be having the same problem.

I got the Bonjour error events to stop, but unfortunately I'm not entirely sure what I did. Basically, given that I had a relatively new installation of Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, I chose to reinstall the OS and start from scratch. That said, the primary difference between this setup and the previous on is that I haven't enabled Media on the server. That makes some sense, as it's possible that there's a conflict between the Bonjour mDNS and whatever WS2012R2 Essentials is doing with Media. I haven't gone so far as to experiment to see if enabling Media causes the problem, but it's a place to start if you're having the problem.

Some things I tried that didn't work:

1. Created a DNS entry for MERCURY.local (MERCURY is the server name).
2. Changed the server domain name away from a DOMAIN.local name. The process is involved, didn't fix the Bonjour error, and messed up my system to the point where I decided to reinstall the OS as mentioned above. The new install has a domain name of the form DOMAIN.local, so that's not it.
3. Futzed around with various settings of the upstream DNS server. Nothing made any difference. The new install has the preferred DNS as 127.0.0.1 and uses a forwarder to the router for non domain DNS lookups.

Good luck if you're having this problem. Hope this gets you started. Please post if you confirm precisely what fixes the issue.

Jeff