New user few issues

Auss

New user few issues

Post by Auss »

Hi all got a few issues which I hope can be sorted as I'm really liking this product.

My setup: N54L running 60G SSD intel 320 with 2x2tb hdds in raid 1, 6gig RAM installed running onboard gfx card. 3 desktops connected via a Netgear G608 Gig switch. Router is an Asus RTN66U with latest Bios. Oh the N54L has been the modded Bios and I'm running server 2008 SP2.

Issues 1. Using Homesharing I find that the 2 ipads I have are extremely slow at loading the shared Library. They are both the latest Ipads and are patched with IOS 7.1.2 I have 2 iphones 4S which load the shared library with no wait time at all. They also have the same IOS version and I have checked all settings on the devices and their exact.
I've removed all devices off the network, and ran only server and ipad to try to resolve issue, still cannot load library in under 5 mins. I have APTV which loads library fine. I have 2 wifi networks, 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz have tried both and same result. I've stopped Ihomeserver and ran Itunes same result. I've also opened the TCP and UDP ports required even turned off firewall on server.

Issue 2. I cannot get Ihomeserver to detect that Handbrake is installed. I installed Handbrake after Ihomeserver does this matter? Ive rebooted server seveal times and stopped the itunes service. Handbrake is latest version.

Issue 3. Cannot load the web component, not even on the server itself!! Its getting very frustrating. Hoping someone can assist as In its current state ithe only device that can use the shared library is the ATV3.

Thanks in advance.
bizmodeller

Re: New user few issues

Post by bizmodeller »

Issues 1. Using Homesharing I find that the 2 ipads I have are extremely slow at loading the shared Library. They are both the latest Ipads and are patched with IOS 7.1.2 I have 2 iphones 4S which load the shared library with no wait time at all. They also have the same IOS version and I have checked all settings on the devices and their exact.
I've removed all devices off the network, and ran only server and ipad to try to resolve issue, still cannot load library in under 5 mins. I have APTV which loads library fine. I have 2 wifi networks, 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz have tried both and same result. I've stopped Ihomeserver and ran Itunes same result. I've also opened the TCP and UDP ports required even turned off firewall on server.
As you are having this issue when running iTunes standalone without iHomeServer then it does sound like an iTunes/firewall issue rather than an issue with iHomeServer. That said, certainly want to help resolve it!

One thing to try is to disable library sharing within iTunes preferences, but to keep Home Sharing enabled. Although we haven't seen this first hand ourselves there are quite a few forums saying that the two forms of library sharing can conflict causing performance issues on the first connection - have a look at http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 8061248766 for reference. The thread there's a bit confused, but the summary is "Go to the Sharing section of iTunes' preferences, then disable the "Share my library on my local network" checkbox" (but ensure you have already switched on Home Sharing).
Issue 2. I cannot get Ihomeserver to detect that Handbrake is installed. I installed Handbrake after Ihomeserver does this matter? Ive rebooted server seveal times and stopped the itunes service. Handbrake is latest version.
It shouldn't matter whether Handbrake is installed before or after iHomeServer is. We look for the following registry key to detect Handbrake which should be created during Handbrake installation:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Handbrake.exe
This registry key should point to the location of the Handbrake.exe application which we use to get the Handbrake folder. Does this registry key exist on your machine?

Can I also please check whether you've installed the 64-bit or 32-bit install of iHomeserver, and likewise the 64-bit or 32-bit install of Handbrake?
Issue 3. Cannot load the web component, not even on the server itself!! Its getting very frustrating. Hoping someone can assist as In its current state ithe only device that can use the shared library is the ATV3.
Am assuming you've tried to access this on the server using the URL http://localhost:42050 ? Do you get any error messages appearing in the iHomeServer' Messages window? If so please can you paste them in here. Otherwise, please zip and email me your iHomeServer log files (please see http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer/ ... _files.htm) and we can take a look
Auss

Re: New user few issues

Post by Auss »

Thanks for the reply, after tinkering some more heres the latest.

browser Security settings were preventing desktops hitting the web pages, also Ipad and iphone needed their cookie settings changed, all good now.

I had no regkey for Handbrake so made one using your path and all fixed thank you :)
One thing to try is to disable library sharing within iTunes preferences, but to keep Home Sharing enabled. Although we haven't seen this first hand ourselves there are quite a few forums saying that the two forms of library sharing can conflict causing performance issues on the first connection - have a look at http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 8061248766 for reference. The thread there's a bit confused, but the summary is "Go to the Sharing section of iTunes' preferences, then disable the "Share my library on my local network" checkbox" (but ensure you have already switched on Home Sharing).
Sorry I forgot to mention that I had previous read that fix and attempted it. Its taking 70 secs on ipad to bring up shared library whereas iphone approx 10-15 secs.

Can you give me a better understanding of how the watch folder works? All my movies/tv shows etc are on D:\ in shared folders. Ive created a watch folder in d:\watch, just out of curiosity I copied a file there and I noticed IHS detect the file and index it. That was fine it put it into Itunes but when I hovered mouse over it the path shows the file being indexed from the watch folder and the file is still there, have I missed a setting? whats the best way of having it placed where I want it? It was a Big Bang episode so I want it in there or have I got the concept totally arse about face. In fact I had trouble getting new files into IHS I had to use Itunes to do it.