Smart Playlist Updating Oddly

JeffBDVS

Smart Playlist Updating Oddly

Post by JeffBDVS »

I have some very cool smart playlists created in iTunes, most of which add and delete songs based on the date they were last played and their rating. In iTunes, when I play a song in one of these playlists long enough to trigger a play count, new songs get added to the bottom of the playlist when the song finishes playing.

When I play these smart playlists on my non-Apple devices by using iHomeServer as a DLNA server, they update live in iTunes (interactive mode), and they update in iHomeServer when I change playlists or when I choose another DLNA source and then come back to iHomeServer. All of this is very cool and works really well for the most part. However, the live update of the playlists in iTunes as songs play in iHomeServer happens from the top down -- that is, new songs get added to the top of the playlist instead of the bottom. And when I come back to the playlist in iHomeServer, the playlist there has also been updated with new songs at the top of the list.

I don't know if this is an issue with iHomeServer or not, but I figure this is a good place to start troubleshooting. And I don't want to whine about this too much because iHomeServer does so much so well, and has really exceeded the expectations I had when I first downloaded the trial version. It's well worth the cost of the license!

Cheers,
Jeff
JeffBDVS

Re: Smart Playlist Updating Oddly

Post by JeffBDVS »

Bump. :)
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

Hey Jeff - will look into this.

If I understand it correctly, you're saying that if you play a track via iTunes then it gets added to the bottom of one of your smart Playlists, but if you play the track via DLNA, then it gets added to the top of the same smart Playlist?

Will need to recreate it and get back to you.
JeffBDVS

Post by JeffBDVS »

That is correct. Caveat: due to other issues with iTunes, iTunes Radio and Windows USB drivers, I had to completely uninstall and reinstall iTunes. It's possible the issue has gone away, but I need to do some more testing to be sure. Mainly, I need to go through all of my smart playlists and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Jeff
JeffBDVS

Post by JeffBDVS »

Update:

After the uninstall/re-install of iTunes, which included deleting the iTunes folders in C:\Program Data and my Local and Roaming App Data folders, all smart playlists seem to be working normally now.

NB: the smart playlists add songs randomly and are not sorted by artist, title, date or any other metadata. The smart playlists in iTunes show as being sorted numerically, with new songs added after the last item in the list. I'm adding this note so that everyone knows issue wasn't a result of a manually-imposed sort order.

If it recurs, I'll post again in this topic.

Thanks,
Jeff