Error: Original File Could not be found

Coaster14

Error: Original File Could not be found

Post by Coaster14 »

Hi,

I've come to the source after hitting a deadend troubleshooting my issues. I recently upgraded to V3 from V2 after having an issue where my i couldn't play music from my remote library on my WHS2011 server through the Remote app on my iPad.

Even after the upgrade I keep getting the following error message on my iPad The song "XXXX" could not be played because the original file could not be found.

I get a similar message using using Retune on Android. Both are connected using wifi to my router, which in turn is connected to the router via a cat 6 ethernet cable.

Homesharing is enabled on the server iTunes, and iHomeserver is running.

The ipad is running the latest version of iOS, the Remote app is up-todate as is the server instance of iTunes. All the firewall rules are in place too. I've tried enabling and then disabling DLNA in iHOmeserver with no effect. I've also removed and then re-installed iTunes on the server.

I'm almost at my wits end, as for a while it was working brilliantly.

Thanks.
bizmodeller

Re: Error: Original File Could not be found

Post by bizmodeller »

The most likely reason for this is that when iTunes is running as a service under iHomeServer the file actually cannot be accessed.

The four most common reasons for this are:

1. You may have songs within your iTunes library that are stored on a mapped network drive (either locally or on a remote server/NAS drive). This doesn't work because mapped drives are not available reliably to Windows Services. The solution is to reindex your files using UNC paths instead of drive letters (i.e. \\server02\music\test.mp3 instead of, say, g:\music\test.mp3)

2. You may be referring to local files, however, the permissions on your file system may not allow the user that is running iHomeServer to access your iTunes media files.

3. You may be using UNC paths, however, the account that you are running iHomeServer under does not have permissions for the files. The solution here is to ensure that the remote server / NAS drive either allows anonymous access or has a user created with the same username as the user running iHomeServer, and the same password.

4. Finally, we have had a few users where there have been these types of issues when running Drive Pooling software. Whilst this software works for the majority of users, occasionally we've seen files not available on the pooled drive when accessed via a UNC path.

I agree with your diagnostic that I do not believe the problem is network related.

To move this forward, I suggest opening up the iHomeServer console via the WHS Dashboard, going to the iTunes View tab and locating one of the tracks that fails routinely. Hover over the track name and the tooltip will show you the filename of the track. If you can let me know the filename and any context about it (eg it's a local drive, a mapped network drive, a drive pool drive, etc) then we can take it from there.
Coaster14

Post by Coaster14 »

Sorry for the delayed response.

Here is the file path for one of the tracks that normall fails to play:

D:\ServerFolders\Music\Ash\1977\01 - Lose Control - 1977 - Ash.mp3

I don't use Drivepool and the Music folder is created on one of the local disks inside the server (standard SATA connection, no RAID arrays active)

In terms of user access there is a guest account on the server that has read only rights to the music folder.
Coaster14

Post by Coaster14 »

Any more advice/help? So far i've paid for a licence that i can't use.
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

Hi - I have emailed you so we can follow this up via a support ticket directly.... thanks
leightonstone

Post by leightonstone »

Hi, I am also getting this exact error message on my device after a new install of iHomeServer on Windows 2012R2 essentials. I'm using iTunes 12.1.2.27 64bit and I-home server 3.1.76.0 (Note there is no sound card on this server). Please help as I too have purchase ihome server and unable to use it.

Leighton
bizmodeller

Post by bizmodeller »

@Coaster14: We emailed you a while ago but didn't hear back - if you are still having issues, please email us including a zipped copy of your iHomeServer log files preferably reindexing a problem file.

@Leighton: Sorry to hear you are also having similar issues. As per the beginning of this thread, when we have seen this in the past it has always been a permissions issue. Usually, a file has been added to iTunes using a mapped drive and when running iTunes under iHomeServer console that mapped drive is no longer available. Hence iTunes still has a track indexed, however, if you try to access it, eg via Home Sharing, then iTunes complains that it can't find the file anymore. The solution is to use UNC paths.

If you are still having issues, please email us and send us a zipped copy of your iHomeServer.log files and we can investigate further. Thanks.
Coaster14

Post by Coaster14 »

@ bizmoddler: I've just sent the log files.