Watch Folder on Audiobooks no longer picking up changes

cjed

Watch Folder on Audiobooks no longer picking up changes

Post by cjed »

I'm running iHomeServer 3.1.76.0 on WHS 2011 (all latest MS patches applied) and the latest iTunes (12.2.2.25). I have two watch folders set up on the system. One to a folder on the server that contains MP3 Music, and a second to a folder containing Audiobooks from Audible (aax format files). At some point the system has stopped picking up changes (new additions) in the Audiobooks folder. If I run up iTunes interactively, I can add audiobooks to iTunes manually.

Is there a way to find what's gone wrong (it's possibly due to a OS or iTunes update at some point, but I've only noticed it wasn't working recently) ?

My support for iHomeServer expired in May 2015 - which has prompted a second question that I've posted separately.
bizmodeller

Re: Watch Folder on Audiobooks no longer picking up changes

Post by bizmodeller »

iHomeServer only attempts to import files with specific extensions which are well known to be compatible with iTunes - specifically .mp3,.mp4,.aac,.aiff,.aif,.aifc,.m4v,.mov,.m4a,.pdf,.epub,.m3u,.m4p (there's a separate list for file extensions where we'll convert the file to import it). We've never found any documentation from iTunes indicating it supports .aax files so this hasn't made it into the default list (if you find something please let us know!)

You can, however, add to this list, by editing the list of file extensions iHomeServer supports by following the instructions here - http://www.bizmodeller.com/ihomeserver/ ... er_tab.htm

Please let us know if this resolves the issue. If it doesn't, then please also check whether you are running the native 64-bit install of iTunes (the default one offered by Apple) or you have installed the version of iTunes 64-bit for older graphics cards we reference on our blog here - http://blog.bizmodeller.com/post/2015/0 ... erver.aspx. It may be worth trying this one as we know that this version interacts with Quicktime differently to the default version and this may also be where the issue lies.
cjed

Re: Watch Folder on Audiobooks no longer picking up changes

Post by cjed »

Success. Adding .aax to the list of supported formats for watch folders picks up the files correctly. It's the extension used by Audible's enhanced audio format, and iTunes has supported it for some time. I don't understand how it can ever have worked in the past though, as I don't recall changing it when first installing iHomeServer.

Anyway, all seems OK now - many thanks.