Itunes 12.8 unable to run in background.

Geronimoe

Itunes 12.8 unable to run in background.

Post by Geronimoe »

Hiya I am having issues after upgrading iTunes to 12.8 and hoping for some help.
Ihomeserver is installed as a service on windows 2012R2 server and is Version 3.2.6.0
Ihomeserver is unable to launch iTunes 12.8 in the background but if I choose option to run interactively iTunes will run in foreground

errors Logged are

iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration.
Audio/Video playback may not operate properly.

iHomeServer started iTunes under PID 7544 as the previous attempt failed. (this error numerous attempts until fails)

I have tried reinstalling Ihomeserver and completed repair installation on iTunes 12.8 and Credentials for service are correct.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Itunes 12.8 unable to run in background.

Post by admin »

Apologies for the delay - we've had a lot of issues with the forum due to spam and had to rebuild it from scratch.

re iTunes 12.8:

Apple have made a change in 12.8 which prevents iTunes from starting without a sound card installed. Previously, iTunes would complain and put up a warning message, but if you press OK on that dialog, it would continue to start. We built a mechanism into iHomeServer to complete that warning message automatically in the background. In 12.8, iTunes shows the warning message and then terminates. Apple continues to amaze us with the things they chose to change in minor release updates.

We are looking to see if there is a fix for this, however, to be honest it is unlikely – there is no hook for us to interfere with iTunes shutting itself down. Hopefully Apple will revert their change.

That said, we have found and tested a workaround which involves installing a third party virtual audio driver - https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/ which installs a loopback audio device on your machine. iTunes is satisfied with this device so doesn’t complain anymore and can start up. If you need to access iTunes interactively on the server whilst logging in as a remote desktop user, you will need to ensure you enable the following options in RDP settings:
image003.png
image003.png (34.6 KiB) Viewed 14433 times

Then
image004.png
image004.png (34.87 KiB) Viewed 14431 times
Alternatively, use version 12.7.5.9 from this link: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6562#versions which doesn’t exhibit this issue.
Attachments
image004.png
image004.png (34.87 KiB) Viewed 14432 times
Geronimoe

Re: Itunes 12.8 unable to run in background.

Post by Geronimoe »

Thank you for the workaround and solution.

I Have Implemented the virtual audio driver with the RDP configured as per your post and all is working correctly again with iTunes 12.8

Much appreciated

Geronimoe