ipod sync

Wavform

ipod sync

Post by Wavform »

Is there a way to sync my iPod to WHS 2011 through remote desktop or by other means on the client PC. unless I read the instructions wrong it is stated in the manual to open a remote session and run iTunes interactively, plug in your device and sync. However I have not been able to make the client USB show up on the server. Only local iTunes launches.

Other than above I really like this add-in. I still have a lot to learn about it but I have only installed it today. I was able to stream remotely to my iPhone while away from the house with streammyiTunes. I may have been doing something wrong but I could not get the song to stop, I had to kill the app and restart.

I will be testing for another week or so but will likely purchase the add-in. Thanks for your great work thus far. I hate iTunes way of not monitoring folders and you have corrected that. I only need now to be able to sync.
@Ed

Re: ipod sync

Post by @Ed »

Is there a way to sync my iPod to WHS 2011 through remote desktop or by other means on the client PC. unless I read the instructions wrong it is stated in the manual to open a remote session and run iTunes interactively, plug in your device and sync. However I have not been able to make the client USB show up on the server. Only local iTunes launches.
Do you mean you want to plug your iPod into your client USB port (eg on your laptop/desktop) and have it sync to the iTunes instance running on your WHS box? Unfortunately, when the user guide says "plug in your device" we meant to the server, not to the client you're running the WHS dashboard on. However, if you are using an iPod Touch or any other iOS device that supports Wifi sync then once you've done your first sync to the server, then you can use iTunes's wifi sync to sync remotely.

:roll: All that said, it *might* be possible to set up USB redirection from your client PC using RemoteFX. I haven't had time to check whether the server components are supported on WHS2011 but it is definitely worth exploring. Have a look at the following:

http://mpolino.com/itunes-via-windows-remote-desktop/
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/201 ... art-1.aspx

When I get a free moment, I'll do some testing and report back. If you have any success in the meantime, do let me know!